View Single Post
Old 10-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I just find it funny that people are upset at the Yankees "buying" championships, which is absurd once you start talking about the teams who won. The Core Four were entirely home grown players, and that doesn't include Bernie Williams, another home grown player, or bit players like Ramiro Mendoza, who were also home grown players.

So, what was bought when three of your best hitters were signed out of high school and your two best pitchers were signed as an international free agent and a 22nd round draft pick?

Even if you look at 2009, 5 out of the 9 starting players had only played in a Yankee uniform. In the rotation, 2 out of 5 starters were drafted by the Yankees and the bullpen was anchored by Mariano Rivera, Phil Hughes, David Robertson, and Phil Coke, all guys who had never worn another uniform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I'm not really understanding what's to be admired about a team like the Rays either. How can you celebrate losing? Or want to emulate a team who lost enough to finally be good? How is that a recipe anyone would want to follow? You think there are teams out there considering being terrible for 20 years on purpose to finally be good and still not win a World Series?
Good Lord,

If the Yankees and the Dodgers did not perennially have the two highest team salaries, perhaps I would think twice about claiming that they buy championships. (I also like to see the big spenders lose, I'm not a Laker fan either)

As far as the Rays are concerned, the first time they reached the big show (aka WS) I think their team salary was between 1/4 and 1/3 of the league's highest. Someone will provide the specifics if you doubt that. They also play in a tin foil dome with a slanted roof. Have you been there, I have. Winning a championship or even coming in second is much more of an accomplishment than going out and buying Stanton and Cole and then bitch about not winning a championship. Go Rays, and I would add the Brewers for many of the same reasons. There is a big difference between wanting to emulate a small market team and admiring them.

Another post suggested that we were dissing New York as a city. I would object to that assessment, because I'm sure there are several million New Yorkers who don't give a damn about sports, and more than a few are probably fine people, whether the Yankees win or lose.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 10-08-2021 at 01:58 PM.