Thread: July Pickups
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Dan Be$$e++e

Following up that 54 Bowman with another rare Teddy Ballgame. Today is a huge day for my collection!!

I have been working on the '59 Fleer Ted Williams set for a long time. For a good portion of that time, I have been just one card short of complete, needing only the very tough short printed #68. I have known that budget dictates a poor copy, but I have wanted one in a PSA or SGC slab so that I know it's not altered or even counterfeit. PSA 1's don't come up very often and I missed a couple of them. But this week I finally landed what to me is a huge card, and completed my favorite set of all time. This card is in piss poor condition, but IT'S MINE and I love it!

Some of you spend hundreds of dollars on cards all the time, but in my collecting world, $141 is a huge chunk of change. Still, my snipe was even higher, because this was the right card at the right time and I had to have it.

A summary of my journey collecting this set.... In the summer of 2013 I bought my first 3 cards, beaters for $8 total, and I was hooked. Over the next 2 years I chipped away at a raw set, with condition not really a factor. By the end of June, 2015, I had 79 cards and was only missing the SP above. And then everything stalled. My only progress in the past 13 months has been one gorgeous PSA 8 upgrade that was a Christmas gift from my good friend Casey. The card I needed just wasn't available slabbed in poor condition. When it was, my snipes were too low. Finally, Tuesday, after 13 months, I completed my set. Final stats: the PSA 1 SP above, the PSA 8 below, and 78 raw cards..... accumulated with $484 over 3 full calendar years. But today I am DONE.

Thanks for looking!!