View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 11:14 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrvintage View Post
I see your point Jeff, but at the same time just because the pop report says there are X number of cards in a particular grade that doesn't mean that those cards are truly available. Shouldn't supply and demand still determine the value of cards rather than the pop report? For instance lets say that you want a particular card in PSA 9 grade. Just because the pop report says there are 15 of them and you rarely see the card available is that going to influence your buying price when one becomes available? I'm not trying to start an argument just asking an honest question?
When I was collecting high grade 50s sets, when I saw a card for sale with a pop 1 in PSA 9, I usually would spend significantly more than when the card had a pop 8 -- even if I hadn't seen it around in PSA 9 recently. I presumed that eventually the others would come about so I wouldn't spend nearly as much. And when I sold my common PSA 9 pop 1s they sold for a hell of a lot more than those which had populations of 5, 6 or 9. Not even close.