View Single Post
Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

My first concern is protecting the investment itself while being able to enjoy it and share it with others without any complications. My collection is stored in my finished basement in my man cave which gets 0 sunlight in my areas. I also have a solid poured wall 16 x 6 x 8 concrete room in the basement with a fireproof door and hvac ducting and air circulation. I have a safe and multiple locking cabinet doors. Our neighborhood is secure but with other possessions and general safety issues we have a burglar alarm with multiple motion sensors and stair sensors going into the basement along with the obligatory fire/ smoke detectors, but I also have a water detector in the basement in case water begins to flood or get into the basement. My collection is fully insured with the Traveler's thru the Finkelmeier agency. They do not require photos for the policy but you must submit a schedule of your items if they have a value over whatever limit you desire for your deductible. They will also insure off-site. I have my items completely inventoried and photographed. I have been with them for 11 years and find the premiums are not too bad in relation to the overall value of my collection.
The biggest concerns with collectibles ( especially autos and cards ) are moisture( humidity ), heat , cold , and sunlight, and handling. if you control those you are Ok. I keep my area at 65- 72 degrees year round.
Displaying any object in any type of light whether sunlight , indirect or direct, or in an area with plain incandescent or fluorescent bulbs will cause fading of the signature and damage to the paper or photo-the difference is the rapidity with which it will happen. I do not have total faith in UV products because over time that protection will decrease with exposure to any light... the vey thing it is supposed to protect against will eventually lessen the UV protection ( this happens with some of our dental products ).
I feel if you want to display items by all means do so . I display some of mine proudly...we are all proud of our collections and want to show our items, but I find rotating the items and never displaying the rare or valuable or irreplaceable items and never letting anyone but me handle unframed items is the best policy.

Last edited by Klrdds; 05-02-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: wanted to add an item