View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Clayton- a question about the first book: how does one interview participants of the American Revolution? Didn't they die quite a while ago?
Good one Barry

I'll just use direct quote straight out of the introduction:

To tell the story of the American Revolution in the words of participants has involved extensive examination of a vast miscellany of sources hitherto discrete: letters, diaries, journals, orderly books, official records of the Congress and of state legislatures, diplomatic correspondence, local histories, Parliamentary debates, the writings of statesmen on both sides of the Atlantic, the voluminous collections and proceedings of historical societies, and many manuscript repositories. It has meant running down countless clues to discover the best account of a battle, or an account written from a new vantage point; the best report of a debate; the most authentic record of a negotiation; the most faithful reflection of an attitude or mood.

benderbroeth- I've really just begun with this book and I'm sure it will take me a long time to reach the end, but I'm already captivated by the amount of detail these guys put into this book. If you like American history, I'd say this is worth reading for sure (so far at least).

Sincerely, Clayton