Thread: frank nagy
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 08:44 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebeckleyoldeagleeye View Post
Any of you old time collectors remember Frank Nagy's auctions and buying from him?
Yes. I began collecting vintage in 1975, and subscribed to his mail order auctions regularly for a couple of years, beginning in 1976, I think. For some reason, I eschewed the Goudey Ruth cards that were going for $50 a piece, but glommed onto the Topps 1950 team cards, thinking they were so scarce that they would be super valuable some day. I did land one good deal that I can recall . . . a lot of (150) T206 cards for just $15! OF course they were low end, but still quite a bargain. He would actually send you the cards before you paid for them back then, and you would then either pay upon approval or return the cards for a full refund. I remember returning a card only once - a Batter Up Jimmy Foxx I had won for about $9.75. Of course you could see what you were bidding on since there were no pictures in the descriptions. I complained to him that the top was missing, and I was only getting "half a card" for my money. He wrote me back a lengthy letter, explaining that he had seen Foxx go for $15 or more in even worse condition that the one I had bid on, but he also affirmed my right to return it. What a good guy Frank Nagy was.