View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
Tony Ooten

I'm 50 now. To answer the OP question: I don't actively buy any Modern Stuff and have successfully fought any urge to even investigate modern offerings or buy modern product since 2009.

When I got back into collecting (after 15 years) in 2009 at 45, I bought Upper Deck Goudey and Topps Allen&Ginter, completing both base sets including sp's and amassed several chase cards (or whatever they are called). While searching for 09 Goudey cards I stumbled across net54 and 33 Goudeys on ebay. That led me into Prewar which I collected exclusively for about 4 years, then I drifted into post war vintage, that eventually led me to creep back into 80's & 90's again. Like Hank said above, I probably already have most all the 80's cards I want, there may be a few dozen I wouldn't mind having back in my collection, but actively identifying those isn't something I'm motivated to do at this time. Unlike some of the other posters in this thread, I actually really really like the early and mid 90's cards. So many great designs and cards in my opinion. Because there are so many that I truly like, it's a little overwhelming to actually try and get a handle on all the nice looking products from the 90's, it feels like there is an infinite variety. I can see myself spending more time in the future exploring 90's cards.

At the end of the day, I just like cards. Regardless of the value.

Regarding the modern stuff, I could see myself collecting modern again one day if the right circumstances arrive. But currently - I try not to even look at modern stuff because at this point in my life, I don't want to get sucked in and I know with my personality, it's very possible.