View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 01:45 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Don't hate me...

I will say that I have both slabbed and raw cards in my collection...but the older or more valuable the card, the more likely you will find it in a slab in my collection. The reason is pretty straight-forward...protection. I look at my cards ALL the time and I like to share them with friends and family, too! It is a lot less stressful to share my T205 Mathewson with a kid or elderly person who doesn't necessarilty understand what they are holding or what it is worth. My three daughters look at my cards all the time and I love knowing that the chance of them doing any real damage to the card is minimal...because they can hold the card (in the slab) and look at the picture and read the back, I think they are more interested in what I do with the hobby. If the cards were in pages or flimsy holders, I would be A LOT less likely to let everyone see/touch them. I also like the uniformity that having things in slabs offers...not to mention that having them slabbed makes it much easier to catalog for inventory, set progress, insurance reasons. Hate to say it, but I like my cards in slabs...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.