Thread: 1979 Topps
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 08:51 AM

Default 1979 Topps

So, I either have too much time on my hands or am a bit insane (a little of both is not out of the question).

I am considering developing a web site (adjacent to my other sites) where I can create sort of an illustrated encyclopedia of Topps regular issue sets - yes, there are others with sites similar to this description, but for various reasons none seem to offer what I as a collector would want to see.

We will see where this goes, but I want to work on a prototype and have decided to start with 1979 Topps.

I have collected a lot of imagery from the 1979 set, but have the following requests and questions for anyone to respond to if you are able:

1. On the Bump Wills error - a relatively recent guide places the value of the error at $3 and the correct version at $2 - so we are all comfortable saying that there are fewer Toronto versions produced as Topps likely caught the error well before the halfway mark in their printing? If anything, when I was collecting the set in '79 the Rangers version seemed rarer.
2. Is anyone aware of any other packaging options in 1979 aside from wax, cello, rack, grocery and vending? Images of any would be appreciated.
3. I show 3 wax wrapper variations - bubble gum ad, uncut checklists and sportscard locker - any others known?
4. I have an image of a 3-box rack case - were 6 box cases produced in '79 as in many other years?
5. If anyone has images of the D, E and/or F sheets it would be great if you could post.

In addition any advertising or images of displays in stores would be great.

Thanks for humoring me!