View Single Post
Old 03-24-2018, 04:57 AM
Bill Gregory

I've read A Brief History of Time three times. Professor Hawking was a wonderful teacher, and maintained his wicked sense of humor, even after ALS turned his body into a prison. He had an uncanny ability to deconstruct complex scientific theories and mathematical equations in a way that a layperson could understand. Though his body was rendered inert, his mind was in mint condition until the very end.

His lectures are available for free on his site, hawking.org.uk. My favorite is "Does God Play Dice?"

Errol Morris has a wonderful documentary about the famous theoretical physicist, A Brief History of Time (1991). It paints pretty broad brushstrokes of the science that constituted his life work, focusing mostly on the man himself.

I've never been one to place a lot of value on celebrity, but Professor Hawking was my idol, and a lifelong inspiration. I smile when I think of Stephen being able to walk again, exploring the universe as only he could. I imagine he, Sir Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein are tossing a few back at that great big pub in the sky.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.