View Single Post
Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default 1980s Stars: What is high grade enough?

Recently, I have returned to my 80s roots (I was born in 1973), and I am really enjoying myself. I have purchased several sets, which I have carefully placed into pages inside of binders. It is so much fun seeing the guys that I grew up cheering for and against! In addition to the many sets I have purchased and hope to purchase later on, I would like to buy some high-end examples of some of my very favorite cards/players of the 80s.

On another forum I read through a very enjoyable thread about the high grade 80s star cards some collectors there were buying. There seemed to be a great deal of pride in the plethora of PSA 10s being flashed about. There were also a smattering of 9s and few 8s. I looked on ebay to see the potential prices I might be paying for some cards I want. For the most part, I have not been a "grading guy" but think it might be fun to pick up a few graded cards of my 80s heroes in this case. It seems to me that it just isn't worth the premium that many 10s carry. For example, on one card I was looking at from 1984, the 10 was $449, and the 9 was $49. Another 10 was $249 while the 9 was $29 I think. I have collected a long time, but I can't tell the difference. Am I missing something?