View Single Post
Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

A bit off topic, but do you know what drives me absolutely bananas at card shows??? Reality.

When I'm looking through a dealer's box full of cards from, say, 1970, and I see a common I need to upgrade and he has about 15 of them. Then in his 'star' box, he has 10 or more Steve Carltons and other HOF'ers. Just so many multiples of cards. And when you go to the next dealer, they too have countless doubles of cards. And this is just in one tiny corner of a card show in a small California town. It makes me realize how many untold thousands/millions of the same card are out there across the country. Then take a look at one of those '3 cards for a dollar' box a lot of dealers have and all the various types of cards found in it. Hundreds and hundreds of 'forgotten' cards that are basically worthless. How many of those cards exist? Millions and millions and millions.

Even rookie cards like Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, etc. How many of those suckers were (mass) produced? There will never be any sort of shortage.

I don't know what the point of this post is, except to say that card shows are great, but they make it obvious how rare nothing truly is in the Topps era of baseball cards (I know, I know, some people will disagree with that, but it's a general point). Well, except for some variations. That's why I love collecting them.

Hope I didn't bum anybody out…because I definitely bummed myself out.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.