View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 05:46 AM

I buy most of my cards on eBay or other online auctions. When I do get to go to a show it is a real retreat from the day-to-day, so everyone gets the benefit of the doubt. That said, when asked if I'm looking for anything I will always ask about PSA material even if it is apparent they have none. I am always interested in the dealer's response. What I've noticed is that some are completely put off. Usually, they have what would otherwise be 2s - 5s in their display case as NRMT-MT and priced according to their own grading. They say grading is BS or another excuse to justify their lack of quality material.

Organization is critical too. People that have taken at least a little time to organize material get extra attention.

And I will sound like a jerk saying it, but look like you mean it - try wearing decent ironed clothes, shower, comb your hair. Look, if I'm going to spend serious money at a show who am I going to buy from? The guy that just rolled out of bed and probably trims and alters cards? How else do you explain his so-called gem mint '71 Munsons?

I have not tried to sell at shows but overhearing what is said tells me that the excuses for low-ball prices would trump anything I've experienced as a buyer.

All of that said, I love going to shows. Love good conversations with good people. As the saying goes, a few bad apples...