View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 12:50 PM
Ronald P. Henry Murphy

Seems I am a month late to the party. I wanted to chime in. Up until a few years ago I purchased pretty much anything that caught my eye. There was little to no rhyme or reason to my collection. I had a very large collection but at the end of the day it lacked something....Passion. I was buying but was not on a mission and after a few days of a purchased it was filed with the rest and that was it. I wanted to do something different than what I was doing. So....I'm related to a ball player, Danny Murphy. I had already had a high grade t206 batting and throwing but had never really gone much further with it. It occurred to me that if I were to lose my entire collection, what would I miss the most. Well It was the Murphy's that I had. Easily replaceable but it answered my question to where my passion was. I was on a mission. I was gonna collect Murphy and mainly murphy. I bought a few different backs for the 206s as I was gonna work on a back run for batting pose. As things slowed down between purchases, I reached out to the throwing pose. I completed throwing and was at a standstill with batting so I purchased a few E cards. Then slowly started an E run. Now my attention was only on Murphy. However, I did not want doubles since that was not a challenge (unless it was a nice upgrade.) As I continued I knocked out the easy finds and started focusing on the more challenging and tougher examples. Cards were nolonger in the $20-$40 range but getting closer to the $200-$300 range. Every week I needed to add something so I then reached into A's team postcards if Murph was pictures on it. It was to the point I would lose sleep if I went a week with out adding a Murphy, it now became an obsession. For the 206 batting pose I am down to BL, DRUM, HINDU and Lenox. I was amped when the BL showed up at auction a few months back to only be disappointed when I bid $2400 to be outbid. About a month later the Murphy e107 showed up, It was my chance to bounce back from the BL loss. Wasn't a 206 but probably my only chance to add a 107. Dropped the $3600 to bring it home. My Murphy set is taking shape. My "master set" is covering everything for the 206s, E cards, D cards, Pinkerton, SC Domino discs, helmar stamps, 1900 cabinet card from Connecticut State League, custom signature cut card I had made, to the Awesome e107 and everything in between. The beauty of this project is not only have I turned my pc into a player pc but I have learned more in three years about pre-war types than I did all of my time previously. That is thanks to collecting a gent that passed 63 years ago. My apologies for the rambling. However, this is what got we started and the continued path to the cards I choose to collect. Murphy is that choice I have made and above is the reason why.