View Single Post
Old 04-16-2016, 12:23 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Fly in the ointment

The unearned run in the dead ball era is the principle reason that the ERAs are so low. With more fielding errors a higher percentage of runs are unearned in that era. It is not that the pitchers were uniformly awesome or that the hitters were terrible. The gloves were bad and statistically the fielding was "little leagueish".

What has always bothered me a little is the extra base on a throwing error vs the extra out provided to the hitting team on a dropped fly ball.

In the second case (dropped ball providing a four out inning essentially) the hitting team can score 15 runs in the inning after the error on what would have been the third out and all the subsequent runs in that inning are unearned.

In the first case (as in the scenario presented) the extra base provides an opportunity for the runner on third to score and be unearned if he wouldn't have scored from second before the third out, but subsequent runs in the inning would or could be earned I believe. But if he is on third base as a result of the errant throw and the next batter hits a home run, I believe the run from third would be earned as he would have scored anyway from second on the home run.

Other scenarios exist where one has to consider all the events of the inning before determining if some or all of the runs are unearned.

Another conundrum in my opinion is the passed ball vs the wild pitch, both of which result in an unearned base if you will. The passed ball is on the catcher, but is not an error. The wild pitch is on the pitcher, but is not an error. I do not believe that either can result in an unearned run, as in the scenario provided here where the extra base throwing error can result in an unearned run. Furthermore at times to distnguish between a wild pitch and a passed ball can be somewhat arbitrary, but I don't think it matters with respect to unearned runs.

Disclaimer: I have not read the rule book in decades and if any of my conjecture is inaccurate, so be it. The general topic however is interesting for discussion.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-16-2016 at 01:03 PM.