Thread: Price guide
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 06:58 AM
Steve Birmingham

A bit late to this one, been away a few days.

The idea of a Kindle or some other reader version seems very poor to me. While those things may be ok for light reading of stuff you'd never read again, I'd hate to use one for reference for a couple reasons
1. I use my big book regularly, browsing Ebay. I can pick it up and look up most anything pretty quickly. And I use it as intended- just a guide- rather than a real time tracking of prices. Having to start another device to check if a card I'm not totally familiar with is actually a short print wouldn't work for me.
2. With a reader you don't actually own anything except the reader. The "book" can be deleted at any time. Ironically this was done recently with a few books, including 1984.

Beckett OPG? Really? They offered me a free month of OPG if I signed up for a newsletter email. Close on a decade later, and I'm still waiting.....I still get the email, hardly ever read it. It's mostly month old sports news. (or older) Articles about the very obvious- Lebron James is a really good basketball player- And links to videos of guys that yell more than the home shopping channel guys opening packs. If the price guide is just as good I'm glad I didn't spend any money to not get it.

Other hobbies manage to support multi volume catalogs, multiple levels of detail in catalogs, and some very expensive catalogs. Some of the multi volume ones are even published by Krause.

Steve B