View Single Post
Old 09-06-2009, 09:30 AM
Banned

Great topic, Joe.

Back in the day a friend of mine made pretty good money flipping answering machines. He had no interest in collecting them, but a cousin of his was an assistant manager at a Radio Shack who would call him when the new answering machines were due to arrive. My friend would buy unopened cases of them (at cost!) and then set up at electronic shows and flea markets and just make a killing.

Then, as most of you remember, the answering-machine companies killed the market by manufacturing machines just for Target or Walmart or other big-box retailers. Then they started requiring the smaller dealers and "weekend warriors" to buy a certain number of limited-edition machines. Finally collectors just decided they weren't going to pay $1,000 for an answering machine. It's too bad, too, because when I mention answering machines to my 8-year-old, she has absolutely no interest.

I've still got 20 or 30 in the basement and probably should do something with them, but I just don't think it's worth the trouble. I'll probably just donate them to the local boys or girls club and take the tax write-off.

But, hey, if anyone's interested in a couple of old Radio Shack Duofones that are in mint condition, let me know. (Leon, feel free to move this to the B/S/T if it's inappropriate for this side of the board.)

Thanks for posting about this, Joe. Brought back some really good memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (53.1 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (42.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (40.7 KB, 238 views)