View Single Post
Old 06-14-2017, 06:21 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
And all the TPGs got that one wrong too...FWIW, that ['51 Wheaties] premium was likely issued in 1953, not 1951.
Some hold that opinion, and they're welcome to it, but not everyone does. Just be aware that it is in fact only an opinion. I've seen the so-called "proof," and am not impressed (if you wanted a photo of Mantle in his home, pinstriped uniform, it would have been a heck of a lot easier to obtain one in ways other than air-brushing out the road uniform characteristics from the photo taken during the '52 World Series with Brooklyn and putting the pinstripes in so that they were just right--sounds like a true pain in the a__, most likely because it would be--plus, look closely--the shadows are distinctly different on the bat and by his chin in their depth. Why in the world would you go to the additional trouble of changing them? Mantle would have taken exactly the same stance from the right side every time he assumed it--that's called habit, built out of playing and practicing since he was three years old or so). I recall reading that they came out when a Wheaties exec retired (don't think they were seen before the late '80's at the earliest), and he reportedly told Bob Lemke that they were created in 1951. Plus, the other photo premiums from the set were the basis of drawings issued with Wheaties in 1951. I personally believe that it will remain labeled a 1951 long after we all are gone, but as I stated, to each his own.

Highest regards,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 06-14-2017 at 06:31 PM.