View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
Great topic, M's fan! (Even though you were confused about the Senators' two DIFFERENT franchises). I am a Cardinals fan and have never had this question answered to my satisfaction: Why do the St. Louis Cardinals trace their origins back to ONLY 1892 - the year they joined the NL? I am almost certain, that this was the same franchise that played for 10 years in the American Association during the 1880's, and in fact won 4 straight pennants, under player/mananger Charlie Comiskey. So what if the team changed leagues? Do the current Milwaukee Brewers ignore all their years spent in the AL? Surely not. The 4 additional pennants is significant. The Cardinals could (and should) rightfully claim 21 instead of 17. Actually, I've read one source that says the original St. Louis team that joined the NL in 1876, is in fact the same franchise that later joined the AA, but was forced to leave the NL after the 1877 season, for financial reasons. They barnstormed for a few years before joining the AA. I've always wondered how other teams that played in the AA, handle their histories if they later joined the NL?
Not only pennants, but they could include the 1886 World's Series win. One issue, though, is what happened when the club changed owners and nearly all their players in 1899 (mentioned above).