View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Chris,

One of the things I've been fortunate to learn from a handful of posters on this board is that descriptions in an auction catalog can greatly influence selling prices. You might see totally out-of-this-world prices realized, and the reason might be the really cool descriptions in the catalog. Marketing is another thing that can drive up prices in an auction.

So maybe the write-up for the lot that sold for much more than its counterparts simply had a really great description, and maybe that one lot was marketed a lot better.

Anything is possible which is why I don't mention the Auction House but the write up was very generic only telling what autographed cards were in the lot and marketing I am pretty sure had nothing to do with it because each lot was really only worth about $150.

All the cards were from the same set as well. Basically someone consigned them as one large group and the Auction House broke them up in smaller similar lots to sell. The one I just happened to make the mistake on was the only one that got extra action. All the others sold for what they should have.

Needless to say I was sick to my stomach watching this happen. But it was a lesson learned as I always make sure to double check my bid before clicking now.