View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 AM
Fra.nk Rein.stein

I WAS the owner of the Lloyd autograph in Ron's book. While it had good (not great) provenance I bought it simply to add to my collection. I had a standing offer to sell it whenever I wanted at a fixed price. I later learned that Ron was once actually the owner of the Lloyd autograph, so one could argue that he had a vested interest on opining on the autograph being good in his book.

Long story short, Kevin Keating looked at it and failed it at the National, so I sold it for the standing offer. I am not saying it was bad, however, if PSA would not pass it, it had little value in the future, so i sold it for the standing offer.

Jim S. and Ron later told me that they had some doubts about the PSA exemplar and other similar "letters" from Negro Leaguers that had content that were simply "too good to be true". Additionally, the two authentic versions in Ron's book from the archives are different, to me, than the ones you are showing and my former autograph. So I personally would air on the side of caution.

Regardless, good luck in your decision.

Frank