View Single Post
Old 01-09-2018, 06:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Part sports talk, part collectibles: Mcfarlane figures

Hey guys,

A quick search on Google doesn't show a topic that's been devoted specifically to Mcfarlane figures, so, I figured I'd start one, and see which of you, if any, also collect these beauties. Leon, if you feel this would better fit in another sub forum, please, by all means, move it for me!

I have a pretty small collection, as I have a finite amount of space at the moment. But I've been staring to build it as I assemble things to put into my "man cave" when I get off disability, and back to work. I'll combine elements of my greatest loves: sports, film and music. I have the design already sketched in great detail in my mind. And these figures will play a prominent role in that room.They are incredibly detailed, and there's a nearly endless way to collect them. I just purchased my first hockey figure, as I've started getting back into the sport I loved nearly as much as baseball and football when I was a kid. My mom spent a few years of her childhood living in Toronto, and her love of the game rubbed off on me.

Since the figures I have are still packaged (they'll eventually be removed, and placed in acrylic display cases with other memorabilia), I'll just post pictures of the ones I have, thus far. Eventually, when I get into my new place, and get the room up and running, I'll take pictures to share here.

Here are the ones I have, thus far.

Wayne Gretzky

Hank Aaron

Joe DiMaggio

Jordy Nelson

Aaron Rodgers

Brett Favre

Unfortunately, Mcfarlane no longer holds the MLB license, so if a baseball figure hasn't been done, I'll have to get one custom made. There are a ton of players that they didn't do, inexplicably. No Robin Yount or Paul Molitor, no Eddie Mathews or Warren Spahn. No Stan Musial, Ernie Banks, Mel Ott...the list goes on. The only pre-1900 player in the collection is Ty Cobb.

But pretty much every New York Yankee that has ever played is in the collection. And, for many of them, there are like six or seven releases. There are, by my count, five Derek Jeters. But no Cy Young, Shoeless Joe Jackson, or any of the other players I listed above. Don't get me wrong. A lot of the Yankee figures rank among my favorites Mcfarlane has ever done. The Thurman Munson catching is impossibly cool. But did he really need two? Another batting, when Stan Musial can't even get one?

What do you all think of these? And, do you collect them? I've seen some ridiculous customizations, so if there's a guy I really want, like Yount, I can get it. Others I plan on getting right away, like Roberto Clemente, Ted Williams, Ray Nitschke, Bart Starr and Roger Staubach are plentiful.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.