View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 11:46 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
Right on target.

if everyone snipes, then no one is really sniping. its just putting in your max bid and it doesn't matter if you put it in right away or with one second left.

now if someone snipes and you lose out because you would have topped his last second snipe bid, then you yourself did not put in your max bid, either right away or sniping. that's your fault. why would you not put in your absolute maximum bid and let it get away? that's what i don't get.

sniping isn't a surprise move. everyone knows the other guy is going to snipe, all the more important to put in your absolute max bid, and let the chips fall where they may, whether you snipe or not, so it doesnt really mater if you snipe. It's a strategy but not really.

now many people say that they would have paid another dollar for the item, even over their absolute max bid, but then again, you don't know the max bid of the other guy, so one dollar more turns into 20. turns into 100. turns into 300. Figure out your super absolute crazy max bid and bid it and stick with it and there is never a need to snipe. if people like to snipe, that's fine, but its not really sniping anything.

Sometimes you do know that the other person's max bid wasn't much higher than your own.

Recently I won an ebay auction with a bid just 12cents higher than the under bidder. My max bid just happened to beat the other buyer by that much. Since I got mine in first it didn't matter that my bid wasn't at the actual bid increment that it was suppose to be. So in this case had the under bidder had time he (or she) could have quickly increased their bid by the minimum increment amount and won it.