Thread: 1987 Topps
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Al Richter

Up until 1994 I tried to get any and all baseball sets put out by Topps in any given year, including test and insert sets, and judged my appreciation for that year's production by the sum of the parts .

For 87 I liked the wood boarders and got the base and traded set, and the base and traded Tiffany set. Also ended up with a 1/4 size metal Mays, in the format of his 53 card, that was a premium given to dealers who purchased Traded sets. Then there were 8 box panel cards, the All Star Glossy set of 22 which were rack pack inserts, The All Star Glossy set of 60, a mail in offer product, Baseball Highlights boxed set ( Joint effort with Woolworth), the 87 Coin set of 48, the ongoing Gallery of Champions boxed set of 12 in aluminum, bronze and silver, and one pewter Canseco premium) . I have a full run of these things in each metal from 84-91. I like them.

Then there was the Glossy Rookie set of 22, which were inserts in Jumbo packs. Topps also produced in 87 a Bobby Grich Night sheet featuring all his Tops cards for an Angels game on May 1. Also the ongoing Mini League Leaders cards which came out in their own packs. And Finally the Panini soft sticker set of 313 and the related but scarce hardback set of the same number