View Single Post
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Administrator

Default Continuing the Ty Cobb/Ty Cobb back debate

Posted By: David Smith

Ted Z,

I have NOTHING factual to add to this post. However, in my mnd, I think it would be cool to find out that these cards were specially printed and were used as "tickets" for admission to a party commemorating the introduction of Ty Cobb brand tobacco products (which, for some reason, never got off the ground).

To me this would explain why:

1) There have been no Ty Cobb brand cigarette boxes found

2) There are no tobacco stains on the cards like you would probably expect to find if they were inserted into tins containing scrap or loose leaf tobacco.

3) Why there are not many of these cards in existance.

4) Why the majority of these cards have been found in one small geographical area and why five (I think) were found in one person's possession.

I can just imagine a grand party being held in a Georgia mansion with VIP's in attendance. I can also imagine these cards being used as admission tickets and some of them being left behind. I can then imagine a young boy, who lived in the house, coming downstairs the next morning and finding some of these cards lying around on tables or the floor.

May be unrealistic but since there is no real hard proof of how or why these cards came into being, it is just as plausible as any other explanation.

So there is my fantasy of how and why these cards were made,

David