View Single Post
Old 05-07-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
I think one of the signs of getting "older" is when the people you grew up watching and listening to, pass away. For me, even though I moved to San Diego in the Early 80's, I grew up with Vin Scully. He was what made a young kid skip the tv in favor of a transistor radio. I've heard him recently, and you can tell that age is creeping in a bit, but he still sounds great. I know that when he goes, a part of my childhood will go as well, so I can imagine there are many Ernie Harwell fans out there that are not only saddened by the passing of a great announcer, but the passing of their youth as well.
Mike,
I would have to agree with you about Vin Scully. He's awesome!!
I also grew up in So Cal listening to his voice on the transister radio under the pillow. What's unusual is that my parents were Michigan transplants. My mom was a teacher and she had summers off. I had the pleasure of experiencing both Vinny and Ernie over the course of the summer. I distinctly remember the summer of '68 like it was yesterday. Listening to Drysdale's 58 2/3 inning scoreless inning streak as called by Vin Scully. Then spending a month in Michigan listening to Tigers broadcasts on their drive towards the pennant and becoming World Champs. This still remains one of my favorite summers as a baseball fan. Good stuff!!