View Single Post
Old 10-04-2023, 08:15 PM
Marc

This 1962 Giants pennant is... strange. It is on the rare side and I have some questions about quality control. I bought the one on the bottom a week or so ago. My other two have some damage and this new one wasn't all that expensive. The first one I ever bought has the spine bleed. The second one is pretty nice, but it has a hole in it and very strange wrinkles. When I saw the third one (on the bottom) listed on ebay, it looked like it might be in better condition. It turns out that the ebay pic presented the pennant in a very favorable light and it was a kind of dirty. I've managed to clean it pretty well with a wet cloth.

When I put them all together, I noticed a few things. This new one is clearly a slightly different color, even after you take condition into account. And it is smaller (height and length). And the material is kind of different for each pennant.

But the strangest thing to me is that all three have some differences among the batters (see how many differences you can spot). Seems very strange for what was likely a very briefly made pennant. Not sure if this happened because of the screens being copied at some point? There being multiple versions of the same screen(s)? Or.... just natural variation from pennant to pennant when humans are involved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Orange 1962.jpg (138.9 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg Three batters.jpg (154.6 KB, 288 views)