View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 11:21 AM
Gary B.

Default Help Me Identify Postcard 1900-1910 - Tigers? Ty Cobb?

Hi, everyone! First post.

I obtained this postcard and would love some help identifying what it is, and possibly what it's worth? This is all I could come up with in my research:

The stamp on the back is from 1902 and issued from 1902-1903, so I assume the postcard is somewhere from 1902-1905 or so, unless someone happened to hold on to a stamp and used it more than 2-3 years later.

I found this info on line from http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...es/jerseys.htm :

"Running the Bases Wearing Laces
The late 1870s saw the introduction of the laced-front jersey. Styles varied, with some shirts featuring lacing that ran the entire length of the shirt, while others had lacing for just the top portion of the jersey. Laced-front jerseys remained popular through the 1890s, but by 1901 only two of 16 major league clubs were wearing the style. Ten years later, laces on shirts had disappeared altogether."

The person writing on the back of the card said they were seeing the team tonight, so it's got to be 1902-1911, and probably 1902-1905 or so.

It's also been suggested that one of the players looks like Ty Cobb, especially in light of the fact of it being some Detroit team, but I can't place what team that even is, much less if it's a minor league team Cobb could have been on. The stylized D is a lot different and less polished than the Detroit Tigers of the day, so I'm assuming it's some minor league or non-MLB team. I personally seriously doubt it's Ty Cobb as his face and arms are a little softer, whereas Cobb, even back then, had more angular features, but anything's possible.

Also, I'm limited by the size limits of uploading pictures, but I can put them on photobucket if anyone wants to see larger images.

Regardless, it's a pretty cool artifact, but I can't identify what team it is or the year or if this card is unique or if other copies exist, etc. Anyone?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tigers1.jpg (29.9 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg tigers2.jpg (15.9 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg tigers3.jpg (9.4 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg tigers4.jpg (19.2 KB, 246 views)