View Single Post
Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Rhett Yeakley

Great pickup!

W575-1 has always been a "catch-all" designation that comprises several different sets that are tough to nearly impossible to distinguish. Most from my experience have been factory cut (or blank backed E121 cards) but they were also distributed in sheets either as point of sale items or were the advertising sheets that were later cut down and those are obviously hand cut. We need to stop thinking of W575-1 as hand cut cards as they normally are not BUT we think of them as such simply because of the W-designation & PSA always grades them with that designation.

Of the cards that I have cataloged in the W575-1 set, you have no new additions to the known checklist (at least to me). The three "key" cards in your group are the Stengel (batting), the Davenport, & the Jacobson (with position as "R.F." and not the regular "C.F." that was made in the E121 set. The Stengel and Davenport were subjects/images that were dropped before the first version of E121 Series of 80 was made (at least no examples have been found with the American Caramel backs...yet --this family of sets is the most complicated ever with the exception of the Old Judge series)

These cards can likely be dated to about the same time as the D327 Holsum Type 2//H-Unc Herpolsheimer//Queen City//Shotwell cards were being produced but before the E121 Series of 80 first printing was made. I still will have to compare the Type 2 Holsum's, Herp's, & other issues I have seen to these examples to see if there are any other changes to the positions, teams, etc. in a little more depth.

Of the "exclusive cards" like the Stengel, Davenport, and Jacobson cards Leon has in this lot, I have copies of the following that are probably from this same promotion/time frame w/ blank backs...

Dave Davenport
Duffy Lewis (NY Americans)
Ray Morgan
Zeb Terry (kneeling)
Carl Weilman
Lawton Witt

I have seen the following from this promotion (but do not own)...

Art Fletcher (glove outstretched)
John Henry (catching-front view)
Wm C. Jacobson (R.F.)
Charles Stengel (Batting)

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 01-29-2017 at 01:43 PM.