View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 11:06 PM
Paul Winter

Nicholson batted leadoff in all of the Whites games, so it can't be batting order.

Besides the Whites players listed as B5 through B15 (excepting B11), the following players were with the Whites that spring:
Tug Arundel (who got into town late in April after being released from Indianapolis, with whom he is pictured in the set), Jake Beckley, Jack Crooks, Tom Dolan (photographed in a Whites uniform, but identified with the Browns - he went with the Browns on their road trip to Memphis and New Orleans in April, but was always intended to be with the Whites once the season started), Joe Herr, and Jerry McCormick. Five players, five 'missing' numbers (ignoring Arundel, who likely was signed after the photos were taken).

One other note about the timing of the photos. There was a player in camp that spring with the Whites named F.B Weikart. He played in a couple of games and then was released by April 6, when he signed with Houston. He is not included in the set at all, which makes me think he was never photographed. That would set the date for the photos in April of 1888. Also, there is some suggestions in the local papers that Sproat was late to camp because of illness. He didn't pitch at all until the Whites second game of the season, on May 1. This would be another indication that the photos weren't taken until the middle of April. Arundel didn't arrive in St. Louis until late April, and Somers and McCormick were released on May 4. I would say the photos were taken sometime in the two or so weeks between April 6 and about April 24, when Arundel was signed.

The Old Judge set got me really interested in the Whites and the Western Association of 1888. I wish I could afford some of their cards.