View Single Post
Old 03-13-2018, 11:53 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I consider it a benefit of community when an expert in an issue raises concerns over an auction. I know many collectors who've been saved from making bad purchases by information provided on this forum and others by concerned collectors.

I think we also have to differentiate between eBay and auctions, and sales and auctions:

--I would never want to comment on an active sale from the BST here (except in cases of fraud) because it might mess up someone's deal. There is little that is more divisive in a collecting community than interfering with someone else's deal. Think of it like Guido the Killer Pimp in Risky Business: "In these trying economic times, never, ever f*** with another man's livelihood."

--I would prefer not to see comments on eBay offerings because so often things do fly under the radar there.

--For any regular auction house, I see no harm in mentioning a lot offered; we all get the same emails and catalogs and see the same stuff anyway.

Personally, I don't comment on pending auctions (except for fraud or marquee items that everyone is talking about); if there happens to be something I spot I'd rather not broadcast it or have it broadcast. One of my favorite items ever flew under the radar in a major auction and I show it off whenever I can:

But I have no criticism of whoever feels otherwise about commenting on a pending auction at an AH; it is just my preference.
WOW! That's some Ali/Clay piece!!!