Thread: card grading
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2004, 06:46 AM
Administrator

Default card grading

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Well, I may not actually be a seasoned veteran collector as much as a somewhat weathered hobbiest, but I do not have my cards graded, and remove them from their holders when they come that way because:

I want to choose how to display my cards, I also want to feel the differences in texture, heftiness and other aspects of the construction of my cards (which surprisingly differ greatly). I have little interest in the opinions of someone else regarding the quality of my cards. I make that judgement based on my own criteria.

Encapsulated cards take up too much room, in my opinion. I do not mind paying extra for the authentication, and I do when the seller is someone unknown.

The cards which I buy however, typically grade 6 or less (frequently less). So protection of the cards from me is not as much an issue as less worn cards may be.

I buy the cards, I want the cards. If I had to be isolated from my purchase by plastic, I probably would still collect baseball cards, but I sure would like it less.