View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 06:24 AM

Default Fire Trucks and Blackie

I finally was able to complete two framed pieces that I have been working on for a while that I thought I would share.

The first is dedicated to Virgil "Fire" Trucks that hurled two no-hitters in 1952.
The Type I photo of Trucks in his windup is at Briggs Stadium in 1949. The action sequence is from his 1st of two no-hitters (5/15/52 @ Briggs).
The two tickets in the display are to Trucks' ML debut and 1st career win.

Virgil Trucks was also dominant in the 1944 Army Navy 7-game World Championship in HI.
Along with Navy pitching teammate Johnny Vander Meer, Trucks won 4 straight games to take the series in a runaway.

The second framed piece features Ewell Blackwell, aka "The Whip".
I shared the Blackie pinback on the pin thread as a recent pickup.
Here is the completed framed piece that features a Type I photo of Blackwell, Vandy and Frank Noodles Hahn in the dugout following Blackie's no-hitter in 1947. Noodles Hahn, also a Cincinnati Red, hurled the 1st no-hitter of the 20th century in 1901. He actually pitched Reds BP into his 70's.

The ticket is to Blackwell's next pitching appearance after the no-hitter where he almost pitched a second consecutive no-hitter, going 8 1/3 innings before losing the no-no. This is the closest that any pitcher ever came to duplicating Vandy's back-to-back no-hit ML record...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Virgil Trucks framed piece-1.jpg (145.2 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg Virgil Trucks framed piece-3.jpg (120.6 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Virgil Trucks framed piece-2.jpg (157.9 KB, 195 views)
File Type: jpg Virgil Trucks framed piece-4.jpg (152.1 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Ewell Blackwell framed piece-1.jpg (130.8 KB, 194 views)
File Type: jpg Ewell Blackwell framed piece-2.jpg (103.2 KB, 203 views)