View Single Post
Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
Al Richter

Default Bouche

Right. He is on the Phils team card checklist as 145 but latter checklists leave that number blank. Topps apparently canceled the card after his suspension from baseball for legal issues. A lot of us have looked for a possible proof card or a card that may have been part of an early run before such cancellation, but none apparently exist .

I only raised it because I know a couple of creative guys currently working on a mock card 145.

There are several early 50s Topps sets with missing numbers. Some initially suspected Topps of "creating" missing numbers on purpose to keep kids buying packs to find the missing cards, but it appears most of the missing cards were the result of contract disputes with Bowman over exclusive player rights. But Bouche was intentionally pulled following his legal difficulties after his very good 1957 season.

Good luck with finishing the set, it was the second set I finished and the first one I started...in 1958. I have some dupes but not in the condition you need since they were cards I upgraded later.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-21-2012 at 07:19 AM.