View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 10:45 PM
Eric T

As for myself, I was all about binders like a lot of people were 30 years ago when I was a kid. Had player binders, team binders, star card, rookie, set.... spent more time moving cards around then on any other part of the hobby. But I was 10, and it was fun. Got out of collecting for a while. When I came back as an adult I only was involved with limited amounts of older cards. No binders around. Now I'm collecting more actively again and I dont see binders. I wonder if kids still use them? I do keep up locally though and am always looking at collections people are trying to get rid of. Junk mainly. I'd say 60% of the individuals I meet up with that are selling older childhood collections have at least 1 binder involved at some point. Sucks when the good cards are in there. I see a lot of cards that have been in binders for 20+ years. Never good. Sure, they were probably handled by kids for the most part at the time they went in the binder. There's usually bottom corner damage. But a big thing I also see, is that over time, in my location, The top edges of cards get really discolored. Some times like the top 25-33% of the card. I would suppose this is from humidity locally. These days I just use a penny sleeve in a standard top loader. They all go in the white boxes with covers that hold 3 rows of top loaders. I don't really have people around that want to see my cards so its not really an issue. The cards I choose to show are framed and hanging around the bar/house.