View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I have some 1973 OPC Baseball cards in PSA 10 holders and all the cards have ruff cuts. So as others have said, it depends on what's normal when a card leaves the printer. On a side note, what about all those wax pack fresh off center cards? Should those be 10's as well? I guess we are back to: Buy The Card and Not The Holder.
It used to not matter nearly as much (the 1980's) but as we moved into the era of professional grading, people realized that "factory" or not, a large premium often stood to be made on cards that had uncommonly good centering, and were free of print defects, rough cuts, or other things that regardless of where the problem originated with the card - detract from eye appeal.

I wish I were one of those "true factory" type collectors who could be totally satisfied with the argument that "well, that's the way the card was made" 100% of the time, but I'm not. What sucks for me is I'm not strictly a centering guy or a corner guy in terms of preferences - I do both and it often depends on the individual card I am considering. Some look ok off-centered or with other issues to me, some don't. I don't know why - but I've always been that way.