Thread: Addie Joss?
View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Tony Colacino

Default Addie Joss?

I suppose I should just delve right into the story. Forgive me if time has blurred the details. I can certainly provide more info, but I'm trying to keep this shorter than War and Peace.

About 12-15 years back I purchased what I believed to *maybe* be an Addie Joss autograph on eBay. I say *maybe* because I tried my best to do my research. I had been searching for his autograph for years at that point. I had just been burned on a very poor copy of a Ramly and I was sore. I had not bought many cards then. So I scoured the interweb and found little about his signature. I purchased whatever database it was you could buy from PSA at the time and literally spend a few hours in front of the computer comparing the two. I was somewhat ridiculous with caution, even going so far as to ask the seller for a sample of his handwriting and any info he could give me on where he had acquired it. He was most accommodating, providing not only that, but also a disk of the autographs that had come from the album where this came from. And the backstory, which was nice. He was a consummate gentleman, and I was somewhat horrified to find out he is a member here, as I can say nothing bad about the transaction, nor would I ever ask for a refund.

The newspaper clipping comes from an old ledger in which, if I remember correctly, there were signed newspaper clippings and photos. Originally out of Rochester, NY, maybe. The disk he sent me I can't remember which autographs he pictured, its' an old square Mac disk. I only mention this for completion...apparently they were authenticated. I did ask why he did not send it in for authentication, and was reasonably told that PSA could not unquestionably authenticate a Joss auto...now that I've read virtually everything I could find on the subject, I understand why. He offered a full refund if it wasn't from 1906, which is the pencilled date around the beltline on the photo.

Look, this thing has sat in my possession for 12-15 years (my wife and I disagree) and I am OK with it being fake. It was money spent a long time ago. I will hang it in a place of honor in my office as a gentle reminder, and an homage to great pitcher. If it isn't, well.

Any input is welcome. BTW, I'm having issues with uploading a close-up. Working on it.

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0001.jpg (41.0 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0003.jpg (42.7 KB, 208 views)