View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 AM
Administrator

Default 1952 Topps Jackie on eBay

Posted By: PC

The seller responded to my follow-up email, saying: "This is really disturbing. I've ended the listing until this can be fully investigated. Thanks for the heads-up."

I sent another email asking if he wouldn't mind sharing where the card came from, because other collectors might be able to help him. I also suggested that he contact PSA directly.

I will continue to post updates as received.

As noted above, the flips on his other listings looked a little "off". The 1952 Mays PSA 9 looks better than the 1952 Robinson flip, but who knows. However, I think I see the embossed "PSA" on the back of the 1952 Mays holder (which is either good news, or even more disturbing). I have the same concerns with the 1954 Aaron PSA 8 flip/holder, but the back scan in that auction shows the full reverse of the flip, which looks like it might be ok.

edited to add: I checked this seller's feedback history, and it appears he's been selling more modern, high grade material. I did notice a high dollar 33 Goudey Gehrig that went for $4600 in a CSA (???) holder, and that he received one negative feedback for supposedly selling an altered Pete Rose rookie in an SGC holder ("wow" if that's true). I'd say it's entirely possible that this seller picked up a bunch of cards to resell, and got stuck with one or more faked holders/flips, but of course would like to know more about where these cards came from.