View Single Post
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
This trip will be more about what my daughter and wife want to do than what I want to do. I am not a big vacation fan personally. I am content on my couch at home with my clicker in hand. So whatever they want is what we will end up doing. I am sure the Smithsonian is on the list but probably only the history parts of it. My daughter said she definitely wants to go to the Spy Museum, so I am sure that will be done. I appreciate all of the tips and printed this thread out too.....
Baseball will take a back seat on this trip...
My wife is from near DC, and I've made a few visits there.

The spy museum is very interesting. Lots of nice stuff, and apparently has a limited access museum for those with clearance. They have signs up reminding people that they're in sections open to the public. It may just be for atmosphere, but if so it's very well done.

There's a ton of stuff at the Smithsonian. It really depends on what they're into. The first ladies dresses were interesting, and there's so much just plain history. With several buildings worth it's probably asking one of the staff about a particular interest.

The White house was nice, but not the most impressive thing.

The Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam memorial are impressive in different ways.

I personally liked the Udvar-Hazy facility of air and space that's out at Dulles. If you like planes and rockets just go. If not, it's skippable.

The stamp museum is a separate building. I've been and the collections they display are impressive. But again, if you're not into it you could spend the time better somewhere else.

I've been to a few reastauraunts along the canal near Georgetown. The Ethiopian one was excellent even if it was just lots of different versions of chipped beef on toast served on a huge pancake. Different meats and sauces, but that's the general concept.- And FAR better than I make it sound.

Steve B