View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thank for the input, guys. That is what I have done with the 53 set. I have largely avoided creases, wrinkles, stains, holes, markings, etc. I have learned to live with honest wear. I am in the process of upgrading a few 53s that didn't measure up. I do have a couple that need to be replaced due to centering. It's funny what a learning process it becomes as you build a vintage set over a few years! Centering wasn't something I thought a lot about a few years ago, but now I pass on cards all the time because of it. Brian is right when he says that centering can help compensate for other problems a card has. I plan on being done (again) with that soon and turning my full focus to 52 Topps. Even with a set as pricey as 52, I will not buy junk. At least for me, that defeats the purpose. Much like I did with 53, I will try to stay in the mid-grade range. Zach made a point that I have thought about also: trimmed high #s. I will never be able to buy them in person where I live. I suppose I am ok with buying them online as long as I know the seller and they have a refund policy in case they don't "measure up."

I have tried to ignore the impulse to go after this set, but I can't quit looking at them! We have a great hobby.