View Single Post
Old 02-03-2017, 10:17 PM
Val Kehl

[QUOTE=Zach Wheat;1626981]This exact scenario happened to me, except I was on the other side. I was the buyer. The transaction value was $700. The card was shipped insured with tracking but for whatever reason signature confirmation was not requested. I never received the card, although tracking indicated the card was delivered to my address.
QUOTE]

Zach, it is my understanding that for anything insured for more than $500 (was $200 not too long ago), the USPS carrier is required to obtain a signature upon delivery, regardless of whether or not the shipper has purchased signature confirmation. In fact, there is a specific USPS insurance form to be used for values of "$500 and under." Some years ago, when I was shipping a high value card, I asked the USPS clerk if there was any reason for me to purchase signature confirmation in addition to insurance, and the clerk's answer was "not really." If the intended recipient claimed non receipt, when I then filed an insurance claim, the USPS would have to produce the signature obtained upon delivery - the USPS tracking showing the item was delivered would not be sufficient to deny my claim. If I am wrong about this, or if this is no longer the way the USPS handles insured high value shipments, someone please let me know.
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 02-03-2017 at 10:18 PM.