View Single Post
Old 03-27-2024, 02:33 PM
Al Stein

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFIMARRIOTT View Post
I started collecting T206 cards back in 1989 at about $10 each, in poor/fair condition. Over the years I accumulated dozens of them, then scores of them, then decided to try to complete the set. Fast forward to 2020 (30 years later) and I finally completed the 520 card set (less the "Big 4"). I even purchased some of the high end and impossible find cards on here, net54baseball. The last two on my list were purchased here on net54 (Ray Demmit and Bill O'Hara - super expensive, even in fair +/- condition). Some of the high-end ones are graded of course, to ensure authenticity, and all cards range from poor to Ex+.

The cards are currently secured in a safe deposit box, and I visit them frequently, as it gives me joy to know I have done the near impossible, as well as knowing there can't be more than 300 complete sets on the entire planet, as 2 of the cards in the set are believed to have only about 300 in existence (then take away whom has just those cards (without completing the set), and I now likely have a set with less than 200 or so in existence!!).

I have painstakingly used reference guides such as TuffStuff, t206.org, Beckett and many others, to create an Excel worksheet noting the cards, backs, prices, and so forth, and have it electronically (and physically) saved. According to price guides when I last valued them in 2020, it is valued at about $44,000.00. I think this is totally undervalued, as most price guides have really not kept up-to-date pricing on them.

I have enjoyed this so much, but at my age, I think it's time to let it go (as a complete set), and let the next generation enjoy it, and potentially hand it down to the next generation.

Well, that's my story!!

While we're here, does anyone know the most correct, up-to-date price guide available (without joining something), and, whom to potentially reach out to, to sell it? I know there are scores of auction houses, etc., and I don't want to spend countless hours trying to deal with it, but a starting point would be good.
Congratulations to you. As they say, and your story confirms, the joy of collecting is in the journey, not the destination.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk