View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 03:00 PM

Default collecting then and now

I started collecting baseball cards in 1954. i can still remember going to a small candy store about 1 block from my school, and laying down 5 cents for a pack of 54 topps baseball cards. i would hurry to open the pack just to get the gum, the gum would leave a coating of white sugar on the top card. i remember going thru each card, hoping for a yankee or dodger. living in NY. i always rooted for the yankees or dodgers, mostly the yankees. Funny, i don't remember being for the giants. i remember in 1956, opening 5 cent packs of 1956 topps, the one thing that sticks in my mind was when ever we got a checklist card, we would throw them away, who knew that they would some day be worth more than most of the cards in the set. oh well. About 1958, when i was 12, i discovered girls, and my card collecting days were over, until 1989, when i was looking for a hobby. yep. card collecting. i have bought and sold the 1956, 1960, 1962, topps and the 55 bowman baseball sets, which i put togeather, card by card. to me the enjoyment was putting these sets togeather. i currently have the 54 topps set, with a CSA 6.5 aaron rookie, the rest of the set is ex-mt, to nr mt. in football i had every set from the 55 topps AA to and including the 86 topps set, i also had the 55 bowman set, had about 3 of those. i have to admit i have put away enough money over the years from my card collecting, to put my son thru college. i didn't even mention all the autographs i accumulated. the hobby has been good to me, and i still search ebay for those good deals, to good to pass up. hope i didn't waste anyones time, thanks . dave