View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Default Anyone ever use the newspaper?

Posted By: george gogol

Bryan,
About a year ago a dealer friend of mine, who has more money than I, asked me to help him set up some ads in local papers in my county. I live in a town of 25,000 with several small communities surrounding it. He rented a small conference room at a local Holiday Inn and even had an armed guard with him. He brought a lot of cash and spent around $15,000. he was quite happy with what he purchased. A lot of collectors brought things in, a few elderly folks with something in the attic, a few middle aged men happy to leave with a couple of grand for their few thousand vg-ex 60's topps cards. The best prewar came from a collector wanting to get out of the hobby, 33 Goudeys, and some T-cards. Nothing too rare. I sat with him all day and had a grand time hearing people's stories and watching the deals go down. I simply got him the contacts for the papers. If you do it, I recommend using small town papers that are printed weekly, in addition to the large daily's. The ads are cheap and you never know what is in a farm house.