View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM
Shawn England

Default Louis Jaeger "Don Diego" Yuma Arizona Ferry Owner & Operator 1850s

Terrific thread... I feel I could go on and on with this thread.

I have 50+ historical documents related to Louis John Frederick Jaeger (Iaeger) also know as "Don Diego". Jaeger was a big part of the early history of Yuma Arizona, helping soldiers (Fort Yuma), Indians and thousands of people cross the Colorado "gold rush"!. Jaeger owned and operated a ferry across the Colorado of which the town essentially grew up around. Many of the documents are associated with mining, claims, deeds, letters etc. Jaeger survived several Indian arrow wounds including one to the back of the head. Jaeger met Olive Oatman (she was an Indian captive since childhood who appeared as an adult with a tattoo on her chin that showed she was not native) and many other historic people. A real pioneer!

I am trying to gather all the info I can, and trying to decipher what I have.
If anyone has any additional info or contacts, your help is much appreciated.

Now the good stuff:

1. The first scan is a letter written by Jaeger to his wife - You can just feel the urgency Jaeger writes with having not heard from her - Jaeger even mentions that he sent letters to her via an Indian named Carabe???

2. Second scan is a letter from Frank P Clymers wife written to Jaegers wife - Beautiful penmanship written in Spanish - If anyone can translate I WOULD BE VERY THANKFUL!

3. This is a letter written by Jaegers son (Jaeger Jr.) to his sister back home. Interesting that Jr. was in Washington DC two months after his father had passed away in DC. The father was in DC trying to settle a federal claim in regards to his ferry being destroyed by the Indians.

4. This is a interesting article I found online about Don Diego!!

I have more I will post,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Letter to Wife orig.jpg (81.7 KB, 443 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of letter f.jpg (67.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of letter b.jpg (73.2 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Copy of letter envelope.jpg (73.3 KB, 437 views)
File Type: jpg Jr's Letter page 1.jpg (76.7 KB, 439 views)
File Type: jpg Jr's Letter page 2.jpg (75.3 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg Jr's envelope.jpg (75.3 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg Info.jpg (76.1 KB, 434 views)