View Single Post
Old 08-20-2015, 12:51 PM
Mike C@.v3

Default Kemp's silly cycle and quote yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaClyde View Post
I get where you're coming from, and agree for the most part. I've never understood the "running up the score" complaint sometimes heard in a clear blowout. As far as I'm concerned, if one team is playing so poorly that their opponent can score at will, why not go ahead and do that? Bring your A game or go home. Still, more people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But as was said earlier, it's not like Kemp actually chose the triple over a homerun.

In history, you are right. More people will remember the cycle than a random 10-5 win. But that's the point...we are very statistics driven, that we (and some players I'm guessing) want to see these "feats" rather than what's more important. I have no problem if a guy needs a triple or a double to complete the cycle and he tries to stretch to get one of those and is called out or safe. But if he stops at a base when he can clearly take an extra base, then that cycle would be tainted IMO. Play the game right and if an opportunity arises to achieve something special, by all means go for it...but don't cheat the game, yourself or your team in the process.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 08-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.