View Single Post
Old 08-26-2006, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Default Set builders- Does anyone else ever get frustrated and sell?

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

Funny, but I've just been wrestling with this myself.

About three years ago I got it into my head to build a complete set of cards from each year the Yankees won the World Series. Inbetween building a couple of modern sets, I built 1938 Goudey, 1943 MP & Co, 1953 Topps, and 1961 Topps, plus got pretty far with 1939 R303s, 1934-36 Diamond Stars, and 1961-62 Fleer.

But I found by limiting what sets I could collect, I was missing out on some cool stuff that I would have liked to buy, particularly in the prewar arena (the Yankees' first WS was in 1923). So I decided to work on a type card set of HOFers.

Well, wouldn't you know, I'm having much more fun with the HOFer collection than anything else, and I've all but stopped working on the Yankee years. Plus, I've started an off-grade T205 set that's been fascinating.

Earlier this year I liquidated all my Diamond Stars except a few HOFers. Last week I sold off most of my Fleers. Now I'm thinking of unloading ALL the rest of my cards, and focusing entirely on the HOFers and other prewar stuff.

It's just way more fun for me to chase down a nice prewar HOFer than it is to try and find hundreds of commons to fill spaces in more modern sets.

-Al