View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Default I don't understand graded card pricing

Posted By: James Gallo

I think it really depends on the grade jump.

Should there be the same type of jump in price between a 2 and 3 4 and 5, 5 and 6. The gap certainly increases as the grade gets higher but is that really correct.

If you remove the registry people would the gaps between grades still be so huge. Is a 9 worth 100x what an 8 will go for? I have seen many high grade SGC Cracker Jacks and to the naked eye there isn't much different between a 84 and a 92/96. The difference certainly doesn't equate to the huge price difference and I think this compares well with the diamond example above.

To me the people that drive the top end are registry people and/or people that have a great deal of expendable income.

I think it is hard to justify a huge different in price for the tweener grades the SGC 50, 70, 80 etc, these cards generally really don't going to look much if any different then the grade higher or lower.

I think it comes down to buy the card and not the grade, as I know I have kept a lower grade card because it presents better then the higher grade card.

I think this is a good debate and worth talking about.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.