View Single Post
Old 04-17-2016, 06:03 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default The reveal

Peter pretty much nailed it. Six cities have had or have American and National League teams at the same time. All the changes (relocating teams) occurred between 1952 and 1965. The six cities have been correctly identified and are in alphabetical order showing their population in the 1950, 1960 and 1970 census which spans the 13 year period. The city received an asterisk in any given census if they only had one team at that time. A fourth list would not change the asterisk distribution in either direction. In the 16 team major league baseball of the early fifties all games were played in only 10 cities, as New York had three teams in the early fifties in addition to the 4 cities with two. The Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953. The Browns became the Orioles of Balimore in 1954. The Athletics moved from Philadelphia to KC in 1954. The Giants and Dodgers left New York in 1958. The Los Angeles Angels were formed in 1961 and originally played at Dodger Stadium before their move to Orange County. Their name was changed in 1965 to the California Angels, so technically there should be an asterisk by the LA population in the third list, because Anaheim is not Los Angeles. (This is the mistake I was referring to before the list of the clues.) The Mets were formed in 1962 amazingly returning New York to the two team city list. The pairs of players are players who played in the same city, but in different leagues during the first or last year of the dual occupancy. Dizzy and Sugar Cain were the aces for the two '35 St Louis clubs. '35 is a dyslexic '53, the Browns' last year of existence. I imagine that the scheduling to a large extent was created so that only one team in each city had a home game on any given day, but at least in the case of New York with three teams, there was frequently more than one game in a day in town. I believe that there are still days in Chicago when the Cubs and the White Sox play games in town on the same day. Ernie Banks was of course referring to playing a double header, but i wasn't in the clue. Finally it appears from the data that once the population drops below 800,000, it is unlikely that a city can support two teams. Football is a different story of course, where the entire city of Green Bay can fit in Lambeau Field even if a few of them would be in the Standing Room Only section, and that franchise is over 90 years old and going strong.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 04-17-2016 at 06:11 PM.