View Single Post
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 AM
Administrator

Default As things evolve....your current focus on collecting pre-war?

Posted By: Geno

It's funny that this came up, as I was just asking some friends of mine a similar question! I have always chased every card that came along it seemed, but my collection was just getting too big, especially considering I'm in the military and have to move it every 2-3 years. I really like T202s, so that was an easy call to continue working towards that set.

I also like 1952 Topps, but mostly for the beauty of them as opposed to the big names. The part I had trouble with was that even if I could afford a Mantle and other HOFers, they wouldn't do anything for me outside of the aesthetics of a nice-looking 1952 card. In the last day or two, I've decided to stick with my beloved Cubs and my wife's Red Sox for the 1952s. There are names like Cavaretta and Sauer that a Cubs fan can enjoy without breaking the bank, plus a few high numbers for good measure. I'll stick with that for awhile until I change my mind again in a year.

That left a pre-war hole outside of T202s. I have a complete T205 basic set, so I'll hang onto that, but I wanted some type cards as well. Looking at my T205s, I started thinking about the Hoblitzell variations, which led me to Goggle him. I found some good articles on his days as a WWI Army dentist and ended up buying a cool print of him off of Ebay for my wall. He's in a lot of sets, but doesn't cost much, so I decided he's the basis for my Type Set.

So there you have it - T202s, '52 Cubs/BoSox, and Dick Hoblitzell, for no apparent reason. With three kids to put through school in the coming years, I think it's best for my wallet and my sanity! It's kind of nice to have some focus and some flexibility with type cards. I'm sure it will all change in a couple of months, but that's what makes it fun. After all, they are trading cards...

Take Care,
Geno